Monaco is widely known as one of the most expensive and wealthiest places in the world. This sovereign city-state has also been the scene of many royal weddings – the most famous was Princess Grace Kelly & Prince Rainier’s. So, having your wedding in Monaco is a magnificent experience made of grandeur.
What should you expect from a wedding in Monaco?
First of all, Monaco provides a complete luxury experience. From Michelin-starred restaurants to 5-star hotels, you’ll be able to host a remarkable wedding – just like many royals did.
And, yes, once in Monaco, you can enjoy a fully glamourous atmosphere with fancy cars, yachts, and shopping options. But not only that: you can get a full view of the deep blue Mediterranean Sea.
So, are you ready to dive into Monaco? Let’s go!
How to start planning your wedding in Monaco?
Above all, I always love to say: “Everything is possible in Monaco.” Usually, you can organize a wedding there in less than ten months. So, the first step to getting married in Monaco is hiring a qualified wedding planner. Although Monaco – Monte-Carlo is such a tiny yet impressive area, it’s easy to get lost while facing the vast possibilities in this small Principauté. Just got engaged? See some tips to start planning your wedding.
With that arranged, you’ll both be able to find the best venues to get married in Monaco, set the budget, and start defining all the details.
Picking the date: the best time to get married in Monaco
If you are looking forward to celebrating a wedding in Monaco, the best time of the year is May to October due to the mild weather. However, bear in mind that the principality has some Monegasque celebrations. Some of them are: Monaco Film Festival (May), Monte Carlo International Fireworks Festival (July or August), and Monaco Yacht Show (September).
Last but not least, the F1 Grand Prix usually takes place in May. As a result, hotels tend to get fully booked, and it might be difficult for your guests to find accommodations.
Where can you get married in Monaco?
Still haven’t chosen the perfect venue for your wedding in Monaco? The principality offers hotels, villas, clubs, and private beaches to celebrate your big day. As long as your budget allows, you can have a multiple-day destination wedding in Monaco. If that’s your case, prepare yourself to have a blast! See 8 top-notch venues in the French Riviera.
How to get to Monaco?
Well, if your guests are already asking the best way to get to Monaco, here are some possibilities:
- Plane: the nearest airport is in Nice, 22 km from Monaco. There is a direct bus service from Nice Airport to Monaco (a 45-minute trip). Also, you can use a helicopter service from the airport – the ride lasts approximately 7 minutes.
- Train: the SNCF train network connects Monaco to France with the TGV (high-speed train). The journey from Paris to Monaco takes approximately six hours. Or, if you are in Italy, you can take direct trains from Milan and Genova.
- Boat: if you decide to get to Monaco by boat (in grand style, by the way), you can book a yacht charter and arrive in the luxurious Port Hercules.
- Cruises: especially during the F1 Grand Prix season, many cruises stop by Monaco.
Where can you stay in Monaco?
One of the most important steps of planning a destination wedding is choosing your accommodations. Also, you must be able to suggest some options for your guests.
From my experience, I usually recommend the Société des Bains de Mer properties. They offer 4- and 5-star hotels that are just perfect to “bien-recevoir” you and your guests:
- The Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo: first, you should know that this is where Grace Kelly got married. There you’ll find 3-Michelin-starred Le Louis XV – Alain Ducasse, as well as exclusive access to Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo and Casino de Monte-Carlo.
- The Hôtel Hermitage Monte-Carlo: located in the heart of Monaco, it is perfect for a more intimate stay. This hotel owns a Michelin-starred restaurant and amazing spa Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo.
- The Monte-Carlo Beach: nestled between pinewood and the sea, it offers you the opportunity to connect with nature in a Mediterranean atmosphere. A great option if you want to relax with massages, yoga, and meditation classes.
- The Monte-Carlo Bay Hotel & Resort: looking for fun? Here you’ll find a spa, a Michelin-starred Blue Bay restaurant, and the party atmosphere in its Casino.
What you and your guests can do in Monaco?
Definitely, Monaco is one of the best places in the world if you want to provide a full-luxury experience. You can start with the Michelin-starred restaurants. If your guests are wine lovers, you can invite them for a wine tasting experience. Once in Monaco, you can’t escape the Casino, of course.
Additionally, shopping – especially jewelry – is a must-do in the region. Nature must also be appreciated – make sure you book a boat ride in the Mediterranean Sea. If you are into art & culture, you have some options to visit, like the Nouveau Musée National de Monaco (New National Museum of Monaco) and Villa Sauber. Check out some lavish expenses for your destination wedding you won’t regret.
Gastronomy in Monaco
Want to taste the «crème de la crème» in Monaco? Try the Barbajuan, one of the region’s specialties. It is a roll stuffed with chard, spinach, ricotta, grated parmesan, onion, and leek. Likewise, don’t miss the chocolates from La Chocolaterie de Monaco – especially if you are passionate about sweets.
That said, you’ll also have the chance to find many refined restaurants. Due to the Mediterranean heritage, and both French and Italian influences, Monaco offers the opportunity to taste the best of seafood combined with local fresh ingredients.
Finally, one particular curiosity about the local cuisine: breakfast tends to be minor, while lunch and dinner usually have several courses.